Have you become a laughing matter by your friends because your chest has grown so big that wearing a bra is already necessary?
Man boobs is a common problem for men with excessive fatty tissues on the chest area. Apparently, three out of four men in the US have excess fats deposited on their chest according to a report from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.
Furthermore, if you continue with your unhealthy habits, excess fats will continue to thrive in your chest area. However, if you have decided to bid those boobs goodbye, you must read this article until the end. I will share with you simple yet effective ways on how to lose chest fat quickly.
What Causes Man Boobs?
Before you jump into your spandex and hit the gym right away, it’s important to know the common causes of excessive chest fat. Knowing the causes and the means of fighting it off might be your best protection from re-acquiring man boobs.There are two central causes of man boobs – hormonal imbalance and excess body fats.
Hormonal Imbalance (Gynecomastia)
Gynecomastia is a type of hormonal imbalance occurring in men starting from adolescent years up to old age. Hormonal imbalance occurs when the body of a man secretes more estrogen (female sex hormones) instead of testosterone (male sex hormones). As a result, the excess amount of estrogen in the body forces the breast tissues to grow bigger than usual.
Common Symptoms of Gynecomastia includes:
- Swelling breasts
- Painful sensation when touched
- Breast tenderness
- Discharge in nipples
According to National Health Services in the UK, Gynecomastia is treatable by medication which will bring back your hormones to the normal level, while surgery helps remove excess fatty tissues in your chest.
Excess Chest Fat
The second cause of man boobs has something to do with bad lifestyle. According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, excessive food intake makes your body store surplus fats as a result.
Together with the abdomen, your chest is a common area where unused fats grow. Unlike gynecomastia, excess chest fats are easier to fix. Various weight loss programs can help diminish unwanted fats and make your chest toner and firmer.
However, experts say that focusing on chest workouts alone will never do the trick for you. Therefore, you should select a program designed for overall weight loss.
If the cause of your man boobs is not hormonal, it’s good news because all you need to do is lose weight to get rid of your dangling breasts. Here are simple yet effective tips proven to help reduce excess chest fat quickly.
9 Super Effective Ways To Lose Chest Fat Quickly
The key to losing excess chest fat is not just by burning it but by preventing its accumulation. Therefore, watch what you eat. Dietitians Association of Australia recommends avoiding foods that contain excessive amounts of carbohydrates, sugar, and saturated fats.
These foods are the sources of fats should you fail to burn them up through your physical activities. To avoid eating unhealthy foods:
How It’s Done:
- First of all, start by knowing the science behind the foods you eat and check its effects on your body
- Next, plan your meal for the whole day by ensuring that you have a well-balanced diet
- Then, follow food proportions and calculate your calorie intake
- Finally, look for healthier alternatives for sweets, chips, and sodas
Insider Tip: You need to burn 3,500 calories to lose a pound of weight. Thus, you need to minimize your intake and maximize your exercise to burn excess chest fat.
Drinking enough water is an inexpensive and effortless way to bid your man boobs goodbye. Moreover, water does not only keep you hydrated after several miles of running, but it also makes you feel full.
According to a study published in the Journal of Plos One, an increase in water consumption could reduce your calorie intake by as much as 200 calories a day. Here’s how water does its magic:
How It’s Done:
- First of all, water occupies enough space in your stomach telling your brain that you are full
- Next, water maintains your blood sugar level to avoid insulin spikes
- Then, Once insulin level is within the normal range, your cravings will decrease
- Finally, as long as you are drinking water, this process is continuously repeating
Insider Tip: Water has ZERO calories. Therefore, you should drink a glass of water before every meal for best results.
Running is my favorite cardio exercise as it does not require you to be in the gym all the time. As long as the weather is fine and you have your rubber shoes on, you can sweat out your excess fats.
Although it does not target the chest fat directly, running could increase your metabolism making weight loss easier. Runner’s World recommends the following steps for a successful run:
How It’s Done:
- First of all, put on your most comfortable running apparel and running shoes
- Second, warm up and stretch
- Next, look for a safe and familiar route
- Then, start with slow, small jogging and gradually increase your pace
- Once you’ve reached your limits, cool down and rest
- Finally, record your numbers and target longer distances in the fastest time possible
Insider Tip: Your body continues to burn excess fat even after you’re done doing cardio exercises.
Read more: The Ultimate Calisthenics Workouts Routine – Shapes and sculpts your body like never before
For some people, losing chest fat is not enough. They also want to tone their chest. Doing bench press is one of the best workouts to achieve firm bust because this routine targets your Pectoralis Major or chest muscles as suggested by The Wellness Digest. The more muscles you have, lesser the fat. Here’s how to perform bench presses:
How It’s Done:
- First of all, lie on your back on a flat bench
- Next, grab the barbell with a predetermined weight with your hands slightly wider than your shoulder
- Then, Slowly lift the barbell off the stand with your arm straight
- Lower the barbell slowly by bending your elbows until the bar almost touches your chest
- Finally, slowly raise the barbell back to original position. Do three sets of 15 repetitions with 60 seconds rest in between
Insider Tip: Ask your gym buddy be your spotter if you’re a neophyte to this workout.
Watch this video and see how to do bench press:
If you’re looking for a workout plan that would target your chest fat but will also tone other muscles, push up may be the best option for you. Moreover, it also targets your shoulder and triceps for a perfect upper body form. Just like running, push ups can be done almost anywhere without the need for fancy gym equipment.
Here’s a step by step guide in performing push ups:
- First, start by lying on a flat floor with your face down
- Next, position your hands approximately 36 inches apart with your feet close to each other. Be sure to keep your torso straight
- Then, lower yourself down by bending your elbows until your chest is about to touch the floor
- Finally, go back to your starting position. Do as many as you can daily for faster results
Insider Tip: For a more advanced routine, try placing your feet on a bed or any elevated location.
See this video and check how to do proper push-ups:
Do you know that flying makes your chest fat burst and melt? Cable fly or cable crossover is a relatively new exercise that uses elastic bands or cables. The movement mimics the wings of a bird and focuses in the contraction of your pectoralis major. I love this routine as it provides consistent tension all throughout the routine.
Follow the instructions below and fly away from your man boobs:
How It’s Done:
- First, begin by connecting an elastic band on a rigid wall approximately a couple of feet taller than you. You may also use pulleys available in the gym. Your arms should be wide open when you hold the handles of the cable
- Second, place one of your feet forward and keep your torso slightly bent forward
- Next, pull the cable by bringing your fists close to each other in front of you. While doing this, keep your torso and shoulder immobile
- Finally, slowly open your arms until you reach the starting position. Do three sets of 15 repetitions
Insider Tip: The lower the point where your hands meet, the better the result.
Dumbbell Bench Press
Dumbbell bench press is another routine that works your chest muscles. It’s almost similar to the regular bench press. However, more fitness enthusiasts that I have talked with prefer the dumbbell version for safety purposes because barbell bench press is too risky as it may cause injuries when you accidentally drop the barbell.
Follow these simple instructions in performing dumbbell bench press:
How It’s Done:
- First, begin by selecting best adjustable dumbbells that you can easily handle
- Next, lie on your back on a regular bench
- Raise the weight above your chest with your arms extended
- Then, slowly lower your elbows until it forms 90 degrees with your shoulders
- Finally, raise the dumbbell back to starting position by extending your arms. Do three sets of 15 reps with 45 seconds rest in between
Insider Tip: You could do the same routine on an inclined bench.
Believe it or not, dips are good for your chest. If you’re thinking of salsa or creamy avocado dips, forget it because fitness enthusiasts define dips as a form of exercise where you raise and lower your body in between bars. If you do dips perfectly, it will not only burn your chest fat but will also tone your shoulder muscles. Though this is an effective chest workout, people with shoulder injuries must avoid this exercise.
Here are the steps in performing dips:
How It’s Done:
- First, start by grabbing the handlebars. Ensure that you are comfortable with your grip
- Next, jump up to raise your body and transfer the weight of your body to your arms
- Then, once you gain balance, dip or lower your body by bending your elbows. Lean your torso slightly forward and keep your knees bent
- Finally, lift your body up and return to your initial position. Do three sets of 10 reps with 60 seconds rest in between
Insider Tip: Strap addition weight on your belt for a more advanced chest dip.
See this video showing how dips make chest muscles grow instead of fat:
Peck Deck Butterfly
Peck Deck Butterfly is another exercise that focuses on you pectoralis (thus the name). This routine involves using a machine connected to an adjustable set of weights. The heavier the weights, the better the results. However, if you are new to this exercise, you need to start from the bottom up. Using weights heavier than what you can handle could lead to injuries.
Follow these steps to perform Peck Deck correctly:
- First of all, sit on the Peck Deck machine with your back flat on the padded backrest
- Second, grab the handle and position your hands comfortably
- Next, squeeze your chest by pulling your hands towards your front. Hold on to this position for a few seconds
- Finally, slowly return to your original position. Do three sets of 20 reps
Insider Tip: Perform Peck Deck two to three times a week for faster results.
Men were created to have toned chest rather than dangling boobs. If your man boobs are right now the focal point of your body, isn’t it time to ditch those excess fats?
These simple ways of avoiding excess chest fat are tested and proven to bring visible results. Just like with any other routine, you need to ensure that you’re in excellent condition before performing these exercises.
Did you like this article? Have you tried some of the routines on this list? Do let us know how effective they are by leaving a comment below. If you know other exercises that trim down chest fat quickly don’t hesitate to let us know. Share this article with your friends and continue burning off your chest fat.