Best Mattress Toppers From A To Z: The Comprehensive Guide 2019 updated
Bread has butter, the cake has icing and mattresses have toppers.
Now just wait, do not go and order a mattress topper for lunch, mattress toppers are there to make your bed even more comfortable. If you would like to give your mattress personalized comfort, that would be a purchase worth making.
If you do not have a mattress topper, or you know nothing about them or thinking of getting one, here is your A to Z guide to mattress toppers. This will prevent you from just going out and picking the first beautiful topper you see — only to get home and realize it is not the right fit for you. So, first things first.
What Are Mattress Toppers?
This is an additional cushioning layer placed on top of the mattress to tweak the level of comfort. It could be used to make it firmer or softer. They can also be used to make the bed cooler or warmer. You could consider them to be amplifiers of a mattress comfort.
Most mattress toppers are between 1 and 4 inches and could be mistaken for thin mattresses. Depending on the type of topper, you could use it for mere comfort or as a treatment for body aches and ease pressure on a particular part of the body.
Sometimes, mattress toppers are confused with mattress pads or the terms may be used to describe one or the other but this is a misconception.
Difference Between Mattress Toppers And Pads
Toppers and pads can be compared to members of the same family; they are siblings but not twins, so they may seem similar but vary in appearance and character. The one thing that stands out is that toppers are usually thicker than pads. The average topper is about 2 inches or more while the pad is less than 2 inches.
A mattress pad is a minimal layer of quilting that is fastened to the mattress either using a strap or a fitted sheet that prevents it from shifting during the night as you turn on the bed. They may add comfort to the mattress, but this is minimal. The more prevalent characteristic of pads is their ability to provide protection for the mattress from stains and aging too fast.
The most common fabric for pads is quilted cotton and padding, the foam is rarely used since it easily absorbs moisture.
Toppers are particularly thicker than pads and they sit on top of the mattress, they can be fastened with a strap to prevent them from moving about.
The main characteristic of a topper is its ability to provide significant added comfort and support to the mattress.
They are made from a number of materials — that we shall look at later, depending on their primary use, the most common material though, is foam which is used to provide support and comfort.
Uses of Toppers:
- They add comfort to the mattress
- They can muffle noise from a noisy mattress
- Depending on the material, toppers can cool or warm the bed
- They offer therapeutic support
You can see more detailed uses of toppers in the section on the advantages of mattress toppers.
To drive the point home, here are the key areas in which toppers and pads differ.
Use: Toppers are primarily intended for comfort and support while pads are there to protect the mattress from stains and dust as well as liquids that may pour and be absorbed by the mattress.
Size: Toppers vary in size from thin to thick, the average thickness is between 3 and 4 inches, on the other hand, pads tend to be thin at about 2 inches maximum, although there may be some that are slightly thicker.
Durability: Toppers may have varied durability and the same may be said about pads, but if you got the highest quality topper, say a memory foam topper and compared it to the highest quality pad, the topper will be able to last longer than the pad. This may be because pads are machine washable and this can wear them out.
Fastening to the Mattress: Pads are usually fastened to the mattress using a strap, or they can be attached to a sheet that is tucked under the mattress to keep it from moving about. Toppers, however, can just be placed on the mattress without being fastened and at times this can make them annoying as they move about and make the sheet have uncomfortable gathers.
Cushioning: Toppers can provide significant cushioning to the extent that old mattress surfaces may feel soft and smooth. Pads, on the other hand, provide minimal if any cushioning.
Price: Toppers range from low to high end with the more common ones in the medium price range. Pads, on the other hand, are not pricey and many find them much more affordable than toppers.
Composition: Toppers come in different material compositions. Memory foam and latex are the more common types, while pads are usually made from polyester and cotton or any other synthetic material that can protect a mattress.
Medical Use: Toppers can be used by people with back and neck pains caused by their sleeping position. Toppers will provide support that aligns key body parts that are susceptible to pain. Pads, on the other hand, do not serve any real medical purpose although protecting the mattress from dust mites can help to prevent allergies.
Types Of Mattress Toppers
Mattress toppers are categorized according to the material they are made from. The material then plays a big part in determining what type of comfort and support it will provide as well as other uses for the topper.
There are six common types of mattress toppers and the most common among these are the ones that provide therapeutic comfort.
Here we go:
1. Memory Foam
This is like the Android of mattress toppers, despite being pricey, many people prefer it because of its ability to adapt to your body and provide added comfort. Considering a foam mattress would be a lot more expensive, some people opt for a foam topper so they can enjoy the comfort of foam without having to spend the same amount of money they would have on a full mattress.
There are two elements that play a role in determining the comfort of a memory foam topper — thickness and its density. Let’s get a deeper understanding of both.
The Elephant In The Bedroom – How Density Affects Comfort?
Here, density is referring to its weight per cubic feet and is commonly measured in pounds/cubic feet. Foam toppers usually have a density range from 2 to 6 pounds. The higher the density, the more the support, but that also comes at a higher cost.
Low Density: If an individual would like to have a very soft surface to sleep on, the kind that you would sink into, then a density of 3 or less would be ideal. This is also easier to fold and transport but it does not provide much support and will get old faster.
Medium Density: To strike the balance between soft and supportive, the density of 5 or 4 pounds per cubic feet would be appropriate. It will take some time to adapt to your body shape, but once it does, it provides plush support.
High Density: If a person has a medical condition that requires therapeutic support, then high density is recommended. A density of 6 pounds is considered high and takes longer than medium density to adapt to the body shape. It provides support longer and is firm yet comfortable. Heavier people may need to go for an even denser topper over 6 pounds.
How Thickness Affects Comfort?
Foam toppers will range from 1 to 4 inches in thickness. It takes a combination of the density and thickness to determine the comfort.
Low Thickness: A thickness level from 1 to 2 is considered low and it usually does not provide much support unless the density is high. This is the kind of topper you could use when you just bought a new mattress and you do not wish to wait to break into it. A low thickness topper will give you that feeling of sinking into your mattress, into that sweet spot.
Medium Thickness: 3 inches is considered fair and it can serve for the first time buyers who do not have a particular preference. It gives ample support and softness.
Maximum Thickness: Anything of 4 inches and more will be maximum thickness. It provides good support.
Achieving the right mix of thickness and density will determine how comfortable and firm the topper will be. For details of this, read the section on “How to Choose the Right Topper”
- It provides therapeutic support for people with back, neck and muscle pains
- Memory foam adapts to your body shape as well as sleeping style for better comfort and support
- It is more durable than a number of other types of toppers
- You can choose from different combinations of thickness and density
- It is easy to find in the market if you want to replace an old one
- If your partner is a wrestling sleeper, memory foam absorbs the noise and vibration so that you are not disturbed by their tossing and turning — that leaves you with only pulling off the bed sheets to worry about
- Many complain of the strong lingering smell when the topper is new
- It absorbs heat, which makes it not the best material for hot summer nights unless you have the improved gel memory foam toppers that can distribute heat.
Recommended Best Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Linenspa 2 Inch Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Instantly turn a hard and uncomfortable bed into a comfortable stress reliever. This memory foam mattress is designed to carry your weight evenly over its surface, providing adequate support to common pressure points so that it can sooth the parts of the body that usually ache. It is also able to regulate temperature thanks to the gel infusion that will direct heat away from your body for a comfortable night’s sleep. You can choose between a 2-inch or 3-inch thick topper.
Customers who have used this topper before note that it did wonders for their old mattress and saved them the expense of buying a more comfortable mattress. The topper will return to its original shape after a person has been sleeping or sitting on it which ensures it maintains a full shape. The makers have received certification for quality so you can trust that it will last longer and the 3-year warranty is an added sign of durability, proving that its manufacturer trusts the quality.
● This topper is able to relieve pressure on your body by aligning to your spine and providing needed support that relieves stress on back, neck, and shoulders
● It is infused with gel which helps to regulate heat so on a hot night you will not wake up sweating
● The topper does not have the usual smell most foam toppers have when removed from the package
● A sleeper’s weight is evenly distributed over the surface so that you feel like you are sleeping on a cloud
● It is of high quality and even has the US quality body mark of assurance and a 3-year guarantee
● Some people are not happy with the amount of time it takes to return to its original shape
If you are thinking breathable, then cotton toppers are like a ventilator, they are also light and easy to wash. Most cotton toppers are thin and organic. There are also other varieties that are made with a mixture of cotton and different synthetic material like polyester. Cotton toppers are quite common especially because they are fairly priced.
- They are usually affordable
- They are breathable, which makes it good when the nights are hot
- You can get a variety of mixed fabric
- Most of them can be put in the washing machine when they are dirty
- They are reasonably soft
- In comparison to foam toppers, they will last only half as long and then need to be replaced
- High-quality organic cotton can be expensive
Recommended Best Cotton Mattress Topper
Balichun Pillowtop Mattress Pad Cover 300TC 100% Cotton Down Alternative Filled Mattress Topper
In the words of one happy customer, “ It is like having little pillows all over your bed” the topper is specifically intended to give you comfort, some people say it feels like sleeping on a cloud. One of its most effective features is its ability to regulate heat, so if you have a mattress that stores heat, add this on top and the problem should be solved. It is also able to minimize noise as you sleep so even if you have a restless partner, their movement should not disturb your sleep.
For people with allergies, this mattress topper is made from hypoallergenic material and 100 percent cotton which will keep away allergy causing organisms. Care for the topper is easy since you can easily machine wash it. Durability is also guaranteed and the manufacturer gives you a 100% money back guarantee if this topper fails to meet your expectations. If what you want is a more comfortable bed with better temperature control, this topper is most likely to meet that need and leave you satisfied.
● It is made from hypoallergenic material which makes it good for people with allergies
● The design with tiny pillow-like squares makes it more comfortable and provides support
● For people with restless partners or who have pets sneaking onto the bed as they sleep, it absorbs vibration and noise for more comfortable sleep
● It is machine washable so care for it is easy
● You do not have to wait for it to inflate when you have just bought it
● It is reasonably priced yet made from quality material
● Heavy people may find it a bit too thin and may not feel the comfort
3. Wool Mattress Topper
Natural, does not get better than this. Wool toppers are made from, eh, wool and probably its most attractive feature are that it is a natural deterrent of dust mites and bedbugs. It is also quite soft and you can use it whether it is a hot night or cool one. Like foam toppers though, it is on the expensive side but lasts long.
- People with allergies can use it without triggering allergic reactions
- It naturally protects against bedbugs and mites which makes it highly recommended for guest rooms and hotels
- Wool is a soft and comfortable material
- You do not have to change it on a hot or cold night since it naturally regulates temperature
- It is value for money since it lasts many years
- You have to be prepared to spend more than you would for other fabrics
- Compared to memory foam in the same price range, its cushioning is not as good
Recommended Best Wool Mattress Topper
Sleep & Beyond 76 by 80-Inch Organic Merino Wool Mattress Topper, King, Ivory
For people who love the organic fabric, this topper is one they may be interested in. Made from Organic Merino wool, this Sleep, and Beyond topper will protect you from allergens as you sleep. It also has no chemicals added which are good for people worried about the air around them. This topper comes highly recommended for people with arthritis and other joint pain disorders. It has the right level of support to ease pressure on certain points of the body which include the hips and spine.
Whether it is hot or cold, this topper will be able to provide the temperature regulation you need so that you can use it all year round. According to scientific research, sleeping on wool helps to relax the body more and slow down the pulse, this helps you sleep better and reduces perspiration. By using this topper you will not just be comfortable, you will be healthier. It is well worth the investment.
● It is made from pure organic wool which makes it hypoallergenic and free from dangerous chemicals that may cause cancer
● It provides support to pressure points which help to ease pains associated with poor sleeping posture
● It is recommended for people with arthritis and other joint problems
● Easy to care for as it has a cover that can be washed
● It regulates temperature so that you can use it all year round whether it is hot or cold
● It is easy to fold away so you can even travel with it and have comfort even when you are in a guest room
● It is among the pricier mattress toppers and some mattresses may even be cheaper than it is
4. Latex Toppers
They can either be made from natural rubber or synthetic rubber, no matter which one they are made from, the level of comfort tends to be really good. Many people who cannot get memory foam would think of this as the next best option, although other people would actually consider it as their first choice because of the buoyant firmness it provides and its ability to absorb vibration caused by a sleeping partner. Latex toppers are also recommended for people with body aches.
- It maintains the right spinal alignment as you lie on it
- Latex is good for people who have allergies to other materials
- It is very comfortable and yet provides even more support than foam toppers
- It provides relief from pain like back, neck and muscular pain
- It is resistant to mold and dust mites
- There are tiny holes that make it breathable
- It absorbs vibrations that can be caused if you have a restless sleep partner
- Latex is highly durable, you probably will replace it just because you are tired of it or want to upgrade
- All the great features come at a price similar to that for memory foam
- Latex tends to be heavier than most and not so easy to transport
Recommended Best Latex Mattress Topper
Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper
Back sleepers tend to take a liking to this topper because of the support it provides. Unlike memory foam which begins to sink as the night progresses, the Pure Green mattress topper will remain firm. This does not mean it is uncomfortable, it will hold your body in the right places to ensure you do not toss and turn through the night looking for a sweet spot. It is also breathable so you will not begin sweating on a hot night. Because of the way it is made, it is able to be springy but not bouncy so it will support weight as opposed to pushing the weight back up like a trampoline.
It is called Pure Green for nothing, the topper is 100 percent natural which makes it eco-friendly as well as safe for people with different allergies or even people who just worry about the added chemicals in synthetic materials. Pure latex is known to be remarkably durable, outlasting many other materials like cotton or even memory foam. When you purchase this, you can be sure it will be around for long if you follow the recommended care and maintenance tips.
● It is made from pure eco-friendly latex which makes it healthy for use without the threat of effects of chemical additions
● Latex is a durable material which makes the topper worth its price
● It is designed to be breathable so it does not radiate heat in the night
● It provides pin-point support for the body without being too stiff
● The difference in thickness does not give a different level of comfort
● Even if liquid spills on it, cleaning will not be hard
● You have to buy a cover separately, that gives you an additional cost
5. Egg Crate Toppers
This can be made from different foam materials including memory foam. The reason it is called egg crate is that it has bumps that look like those on an egg tray. The price of these toppers varies according to the material it is made from. Ordinary foam toppers can be a lot cheaper than the memory foam ones. The bumps on the surface give you the feeling of being massaged as you lie down. This topper is good for relaxation.
- If you are going camping, this is a more portable choice
- They come in different price ranges
- The design creates air pockets that add comfort
- You can stack them up like egg trays to increase the comfort
- It is good for a relaxing sleep after a hard day’s work
- They do not last very long with constant use
- They tend to get warm in warm weather
6. Feathers And Down Toppers
Just like feathers, toppers made from feathers tend to be remarkably soft and fluffy. The feathers are usually duck or goose feathers. Down refers to the under feathers gotten from the plumage of the bird and they are even softer than the feathers. These are mainly preferred for the comfort they provide, and there is a section of people who recommend it for sex as it provides the right amount of support and fluff.
- They are soft and comfortable for a nice night’s sleep
- They are recommended for sex
- Feathers regulate temperature so they are good all year round
- They last long
- You can use them without a pillow
- You have to fluff them regularly to keep them in shape
- They cannot be used to prolong the life of an old lumpy mattress since you would still feel the lumps
Recommended Best Down Feathers Mattress Topper
Puredown Premium Natural White Goose Down Feather
The feel of 100 percent cotton touching your body as you sleep is a soothing effect that brings the idea of comfort to mind. That coupled with the filling of goose down feathers will carry you off into dreamland with a smile on your face. This is a mattress topper for people that enjoy their sleep and want to be able to lie on the softest surface with no disturbance. The stitches on the surface are designed not just to make the topper more supportive but also to reduce noise as you sleep.
This topper has been designed to the highest standards to ensure that the customer is satisfied and based on reviews from people who purchased it, it would seem they are indeed satisfied. It is also great that it comes with straps at the corners to help fasten it to the mattress so that you are not often pushing it back into position whenever you make the bed. If comfort is what you are searching for this is a topper worth giving a try.
● It is designed to be high quality and meet quality standards
● People who enjoy soft sleeping surfaces will appreciate the combination of pure cotton stuffed with goose down
● It absorbs vibration and is quiet as you sleep
● The stuffing does not shift position as you sleep or turn in your sleep
● It regulates heat effectively
● Comes with straps to keep it fastened to the mattress
● White is a color that needs extra care, so you need to be mindful of cleaning this topper regularly
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Mattress Toppers
If you are not yet sold on the idea of getting a mattress topper, maybe reading the advantages of having one will convince you. And to make sure you really know what you would be signing up for, also included are the drawbacks of having one.
1. They Can Upgrade An Old Mattress
After years of carrying your weight, and absorbing moisture, a mattress can become a bit lumpy and may sag in some places. A mattress topper can provide an upgraded surface for you to sleep on. It will cover up the lumps and make your sleeping surface feel much improved. This though depends on the kind of topper you have.
2. Added Support
Imagine you have your elderly mother visiting you and the mattress in the guest bedroom is a bit too soft, what would you do? Well instead of buying another mattress, a topper could provide the kind of support she would need without sinking too deep and not keeping her uncomfortably propped up.
3. Therapeutic Effect
For people with back, neck, and other body pains, latex, and memory foam toppers can provide the kind of support you need to relieve pressure on certain parts and in the end relieve the pain that many develop because of sleeping on mattresses that are either too soft or firm.
4. You Can Create 2-in-1 Comfort
If you and your partner have different preferences of mattress
comfort, it is possible to have dual comfort. Place a topper over just one side of the mattress so that whoever likes the original comfort of the mattress can enjoy that while the other person can enjoy the modified comfort created by the topper.
5. They Can Take Pressure Off The Mattress
After years of use, mattresses tend to become saggy and lumpy because of the pressure of the person’s weight. When you use a topper, especially one of reasonable thickness, the pressure is partly absorbed by the topper, which will prolong the life of the mattress for a few more years.
6. Toppers Can Also Provide Protection For The Mattress
A topper can be a buffer protecting the mattress from spills, for example, if you are having breakfast on bed and some coffee spills, the topper will prevent the liquid from reaching the mattress and causing a stain.
7. Muffles Noisy Mattresses
If your mattress is the kind that makes noise every time you turn, a topper placed on top of the mattress will reduce or kill that noise so you can have a sound sleep and not be awakened every time you turn or if you have a partner, every time they turn. However, you should note that not every material is quiet. Feathers tend to make a bit of noise.
8. They Can Make Sex Better
Sex therapists say in most cases a mattress that is good for sleeping, may not be good for sex. With this in mind, you can decide to have a mattress good for sleeping and then add a topper to make it good for sex. Toppers that can provide good bounce back are recommended for sex. If you cover one half of the bed with a topper, that side can be for sex, while the other is for sleeping. But memory foam toppers are not recommended for “action.”
9. Save Money On Replacing A Mattress
A good mattress will obviously cost more than a topper. When your mattress gets old, you can save money by buying a topper instead of replacing the entire mattress. Even if you bought the most expensive topper, it will be a lot less than a new mattress.
1. The New Smell Is Not Pleasant
When you have just unpackaged the new topper, it has what is called off-gas which is a distinct smell that is not so pleasant. The off-gas is particularly strong for memory foam toppers and it lingers for a long time, sometimes even days.
2. They Are Not Custom Fitted
Quite often the toppers are slightly smaller than the mattress so they do not cover every inch. This creates an uncomfortable gathering of the sheets caused by the topper moving freely under the sheet. The uneven fit also makes it a bit uncomfortable when you sit at the edge of the bed and you can feel two different surfaces. Sometimes it may feel like you will slide off the bed.
3. Some Types Retain Heat
Memory foam and latex tend to retain body heat and this causes you to sleep hot especially on warm nights or if you are the type who experiences night sweats.
4. Cleaning Them Is Not Easy
Most types of mattress toppers are not machine washable, which means if you pour something on it like coffee, you will have a hard time cleaning that off manually. You will need to know how to maintain a topper.
5. They Are Not A Magic Cure For Old Mattresses
Sure, mattress toppers can be used to improve the sleeping surface of an older mattress with a few bumps, but damaged mattresses with holes are a gone case because the topper cannot effectively improve holes or broken springs in a spring mattress.
How To Choose The Right Topper?
There are as many varieties and brands of mattress toppers in the market as there are cabs in New York. Unfortunately though, choosing a mattress topper is not as easy as choosing a cab.
There are a number of things you need to know or take into consideration. It is a lot easier to make a choice if you know what to look for.
Apart from your personal preference, here are a few other things that will play a part in finding what suits you best.
1. Size Of Your Mattress: Since the topper will sit on top of the mattress, it is only logical to have a mattress topper that can cover just about every inch of the sleeping surface. It may, however, be hard to find an exact fit since quite often the topper may fall short by an inch or two. If you have the measurement of your mattress, it will be easier to choose a topper that will fit as close to perfect as possible.
2. The Type Of Topper: This is in reference to the material used. The material can determine your comfort so you need to choose carefully. For example, if you want a topper that adapts to your body shape, then memory foam would be a good choice, while if you like soft and plush, then wool would be a good choice. You can gain a lot of insight into the benefits of each type of material in the section covering the types of mattress toppers. There, you can even decide if you should avoid another say because it may trigger allergies.
3. How Firm: First of all you should know which you would prefer, are you the kind who likes a firm mattress? If your mattress feels like it sinks in too much when you lie on it, then you need to get a really firm topper made from a material like dense foam. Firm mattress toppers are also recommended for older mattresses.
4. How Long You Wish To Have It Before Replacement: If you would like to have the same topper for a number of years, you may want to go for the more expensive models like latex and memory foam. This does not mean that price is a determinant of durability, but most of the durable models are a bit on the pricey side. The more affordable models will not last as long, but a good topper should give you consistent comfort for two years or more. Durability can actually be a matter of personal perception, some people will consider two years a short period while others may think it is fine for the price.
5. Your Budget Based On The Average Price Range: It is a good idea to shop around and compare prices before you commit to a particular model. Take note how much variation exists in the pricing so that you can know if you may be paying too much. At the same time, if the price seems to be too low, there may be a catch. It is not uncommon to find replica toppers being sold at a fraction of the original price and these are usually low quality.
6. Do You Have Allergies: Some toppers are hypoallergenic which makes them great for people with allergies. Latex and wool are the least likely to cause allergic reactions.
7. Do You And Your Partner Have The Same Preference: Just because you are in love, does not mean your idea of comfort will be the same. You might like to sleep on a firm surface while your partner prefers is nice and soft. It is actually possible to have dual comfort toppers, alternatively, you may want to have a topper that only covers one side of the mattress so that you are both happy.
8. The Best Combination Of Thickness And Density For Your Preferred Comfort: There are different combinations of thickness and density to create a particular level of firmness and support. Once you identify the kind of support you want, you can go ahead to look for the combination that will meet your choice.
Here are some insights:
- You can have a thin topper with high density and still get the support you need, equal to a thick topper with medium density
- A thick topper with low density will give soft support and let you sink deep
- A thin topper with low density will give minimal support
- A thick topper with high density will be firm with minimal sinking
9. Heat Regulation: Some materials are best for retaining heat and would be good during cold weather, but may be too warm when it is hot. Memory foam is one of those that retain heat and make you feel hot as you sleep. Alternatively wool regulates temperature, so when the night is cold, it will be warm and when the night is warm, it will be cool.
10. Noise and Vibration Reduction: If your mattress makes noise every time you turn or your partner is never still during the night, you could consider a topper that reduces noise and vibration. Latex and wool toppers are good candidates for that.
11. How Easy is it to Maintain: If you do not like cleaning, you may want to choose a topper that requires minimal cleaning like a latex one and if you do not mind doing the laundry, cotton toppers can be machine washed. Feather toppers will need fluffing every now and then to maintain their shape. It is good to know how to care for the type of topper you choose.
Which Mattress Topper Suits You?
Your sleeping position can determine which mattress topper would be best for you. Some positions need more support than others. The right topper will not just provide comfort, but also spare you from aches and pains brought about by the way you sleep.
What you are trying to use the topper for can also determine which you should get. For example, if you would like to improve an old mattress or protect the mattress without having to spend on a pad as well.
The Best Mattress Topper For Side Sleepers
Side sleepers usually run the risk of lower back, hips, and shoulder pain if they do not have the right mattress to give them support. A medium soft topper would prevent this pain by cradling the shoulders and hips. Medium soft toppers can adapt to the natural curve of the body and allow the spine to align naturally without constricting breathing. It should also be firm enough to support the joints and not allow them to sink too deep causing joint pain.
Medium soft is determined by the combination of thickness and density. You would need medium density, which would be 4 or 5 pounds per cubic feet. Heavy people though may need an increased density of up to 6 pounds. Thickness would be 4 inches for people of regular weight and 5 inches if the density is at 6.
Because side sleepers need proper support for the hips and lower back, memory foam toppers come highly recommended for them. Memory foam takes up the natural shape of the body and it is able to cradle the shoulders and hips. The next best topper would be latex. Side sleepers though should stay away from wool toppers since they are too soft. Latex toppers are best for side sleepers who weigh more than 200 pounds.
5 Recommended Best Mattress Toppers For Side Sleepers
As a side or back sleeper, you will fall in love instantly with this 4-inch topper as it offers customized comfort and the cooling gel will get rid of the heat from your body to ensure the best sleep temperature. The good news — it is affordable making it a deal breaker for those who prefer quality topper on a budget.
Side sleepers would benefit from the level of support provided by this topper. Its thickness evenly absorbs body weight to adapt to your sleeping posture and help you go to sleep faster. It is made from high quality materials that make it durable and comes at a great price. Maintenance is easy as the cover can be machine washed. It is also CertiPUR-US certified as testament to its quality.
Despite being just 3” it is still comfortable and if paired with the right mattress, it will provide good support for people with back pain. Its part natural material makes it well ventilated and there is almost no odor associated with new memory foam toppers. It is constructed from durable material — comfortable and ventilated. What more would a side sleeper ask for?
This is one topper you do not have to worry about when you move around as you sleep. It has elastic sides that keep it in position. It is also made from material that makes it hypoallergenic. Side sleepers will love its soft surface and the material offers heavenly comfort. It is cool during hot nights, stays in position like a fitted sheet and provides firm support for side sleepers.
The topper has a number of endorsements from pregnant women for the comfort it provides as you sleep on your side. It also provides good support even for wrestling sleepers. The infused gel also helps to keep the bed cool by distributing the heat. Unlike other memory foam toppers, it doesn’t seem to have a lingering odor. It also comes with a 3 year warranty — a sign of durability. If you enjoy sinking into comfort, this is for you.
The Best Mattress Topper For Back Sleepers
If you sleep on your back, the good news is that this is considered a healthy sleeping position as it maintains spinal alignment. The bad news though, is that when you are very tired, this position can induce snoring, for some back sleepers, snoring will occur even when they are not tired.
Given the fact that sleeping on your back is healthy, it is usually not too hard to find the right topper for you. Back sleepers simply need to enhance this position and be comfortable. A thick and medium soft topper is what many back sleepers like since it allows them to sink in a little. Back sleepers can actually choose any topper they find comfortable, however, if you snore, it would be advisable to have a pillow that can reduce it.
5 Recommended Best Mattress Toppers For Back Sleepers
It is best for not just back sleepers, but even side sleepers. Its gel infused memory foam surface holds your body in the right places and lets you enjoy a sound comfortable sleep. The Gel also provides temperature control so that the thermostat is the least of your concerns no matter the weather. With 4 inches of comfort, take your sleep time to the next level.
This memory foam topper can adapt to the curves of your body, providing support for pressure points which can eliminate back and neck pain as you sleep. Unlike most memory foam toppers in the market, it is cool thanks to the gel infusion. It fits perfectly and will not slide as you sleep. It is also perfect if you share the bed with someone else.
Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper, Plush Queen Size 2 Inch Thick, Premium Gel-Infused Memory Foam Mattress
For firm support of your body, this would be adequate since it has anti sinking design. It also relieves stress by taking the strain off pressure points and revitalizing the muscles. The Gel infused topper will also protect you from vibrations cause if your mate is tossing and turning in their sleep. This topper is also designed to regulate temperature for a more comfortable sleep.
Keep your spine aligned as you sleep and let this topper provide support to the pressure points along your back. Its ventilated design will keep you cool even during summer nights. You can choose the thickness according to your preferred level of sink when you sleep on your back.
It is designed to make you fall asleep faster with its lavender scent. The plush comfort of the memory form will carry you like a cloud with every part of your body that touches it and keep it well balanced. It is CertiPUR-US certified so you are sure it is good quality.
The Best Mattress Topper For Stomach Sleepers
Stomach sleepers are the majority, unlike back sleepers who make up only 14 percent of the sleepers. This means that there is more variety for the stomach sleepers since chances are high that the people who make toppers also sleep on their stomach.
Sleeping on the stomach is comfortable and usually, it will keep the spine well aligned unless your mattress has a problem. As your mattress gets old, it may begin to give much more in the center, this means a sleeper’s hips will sink lower than the rest of the body and that can cause backaches. If you have an old mattress, you will need a firm mattress topper. Latex toppers are a good choice. The level of density and thickness may depend on how deep the mattress is sinking.
Under normal circumstances, a stomach sleeper, like back sleepers can choose what makes them comfortable.
5 Recommended Best Mattress Toppers For Stomach Sleepers
You can enjoy the comfort and softness of sleeping on down or feathers without triggering allergies since it is infused with Revoloft which has similar softness. For the stomach sleeper who likes to sink into their bed, this will be a paradise waiting for them. It fits on mattresses of sizes up to 18 inches.
Whatever side you sleep on, this topper will comfortably hold your body according to its contours and the lavender scent will make your sleep romantic. It is gel infused for breathability and it will feel soft on your skin. Your sleep will be uninterrupted if you are a stomach sleeper on this topper.
A lot of research has gone into creating this topper for the best sleep you can have, wake up feeling refreshed and free from body aches. It is made to encourage natural sleeping or stomach sleeping posture with utmost comfort. It is quality certified and worth the investment.
It is not just about comfort, but also healthy to sleep on this topper since it is organic and does not contain any harmful materials that some others may have. A good sleep is a healthy one and this topper makes every effort to ensure that if you are a stomach sleeper. It also comes with a protector to ensure durability.
The manufacturer gives the sleeper three choices of thickness so they can find the best comfort fit for themselves. It cradles the body and supports sleep on the stomach with ease. It is breathable so no waking up with puddles of sweat on the bed.
The Right Topper For Aches And Pains
Aches and pains may be caused by sleeping position, or old age and other medical problems. Most orthopedics recommend memory foam toppers, as these will adjust to the body contours and provide support in the right places. People with aches are also encouraged to sleep on their backs.
Recommended Best Mattress Toppers For Aches And Pains
Milliard 2″ Egg Crate Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper Queen
This topper is firm, but not like you are sleeping on a plank. It provides sufficient support to reduce restless movement while you are sleeping. The Milliard Egg Crate Memory foam topper is 2 inches thick and this cradles the sleeper with therapeutic comfort.
People with back pain, neck stiffness, and shoulder tension can get relief as they sleep on this nicely crafted memory foam topper. The foam adapts to the sleeper’s body curves, effectively relieving tension on pressure points. It is even recommended for people with arthritis.
To increase comfort, the topper has been designed with ventilation to allow fluid airflow and regulate temperature. On a hot night, it will not make you uncomfortable. This design also enables it to distribute weight and avoid heavy people sinking deep as they sleep.
The combination of memory foam and egg crate design is a work of genius as this has resulted in a luxurious topper with adequate support that effectively deals with pressure points to soothe a stressed body and provide restful sleep.
Even the most critical individual would be able to appreciate this topper for its great design and value for money. The material used is intended to last long so you will not only be saving money by not having to replace your mattress, but you will also have the topper for long. It comes highly recommended by people who have used it before.
- It is medically therapeutic for aches and pains
- The memory foam adapts to the body curves
- Well ventilated for temperature control
- Adequate thickness with the ability to distribute weight evenly
- High-quality material that makes it durable
- It comes in 4 sizes giving a person more options
- 2 inches may be slightly too thin for very heavy people
Mattress Topper For Pregnant Women
Pregnant women are encouraged to sleep on their side and this means they should use the toppers for side sleepers. However, pregnant women may need more than just toppers to have comfortable sleep. The right pillows too may be necessary to even out the weight on the topper.
As the pregnancy progresses, it becomes increasingly difficult to find a comfortable spot or position to sleep. Eventually, it becomes impossible to sleep on your back because it would be dangerous for you, the stomach is obviously out of the question, so the side becomes your only option.
Health experts recommend that a pregnant woman should sleep on her left side. It may, however, be difficult especially if you were used to sleeping in a different position. All hope is not lost however as there is a mattress topper that can help pregnant women.
Recommended Best Mattress Toppers For Pregnant Women
Sleep Innovations Gel Memory Foam 4-inch Dual Layer Mattress Topper
This mattress topper is uniquely designed to support a pregnant woman sleeping on her left side. It has the firm support of a foam layer and then an added layer of fluffy comfort. Some people describe it as sleeping on a cloud.
Some nights may be hotter than others and many pregnant women will complain about that but with the Sleep Innovation Dual Layer Mattress Topper, heat should not be a problem. It is filled with a gel which helps to divert heat away from your body.
For those aches and pains pregnant women suffer as a result of their sleeping posture, this topper can address that by keeping the spine in its natural position and easing the strain on pressure points that usually result in aches.
- It is 4 inches thick with a dual layer for better support and comfortable
- The memory foam is infused with a gel that controls the temperature
- It adapts to the body shape and eases pains while supporting the spine in normal position
- It is made to support sleeping on the side which pregnant women have to do
- It comes at a high price
- People who like very firm beds may find this too soft
Mattress Topper For Sex
A mattress topper can also improve the sex you have. Experts recommend toppers that provide sufficient bounce back. Latex toppers fit that description. Depending on the combined weight, the thickness could vary between medium and high with the same for the density.
One of the most important qualities of a good mattress topper for sex is its ability to provide firm support for 2. Whether the couple is as vigorous as a galloping horse or smooth like the wave the topper should be able to evenly distribute their weight and avoid sagging like a hammock.
Being firm does not mean, however, that it puts pressure on parts of the body that will create discomfort. It should still be able to cushion the momentum and enhance enjoyment.
For the galloping couple, a lot of energy will be released and this will transform into heat and sweat that may be no problem until it has all quieted down. A poor topper for sex would at that point retain all the heat and create discomfort. A good one, however, will be able to dissipate the heat and create a cool atmosphere favorable for sleeping.
Recommended Best Mattress Toppers For Sex
Leisure Town Queen Mattress Pad Topper
This is made from breathable material that is not just ultra soft but also feels nice on your skin. It has unique HNN cooling technology which will keep the bed cool. Even if you sweat like it is raining, the fabric does not absorb liquid, so no more uncomfortable soaked topper after.
The topper is comfortable but also supporting so no matter your weight, it will evenly distribute it and will not sink.
Even in the morning, you can have a romantic breakfast in bed and not have to worry about spills, since they can be easily cleaned
- It is made from breathable material so no uncomfortable heat in the bed
- It is thick and comfortable, providing sufficient support for couples
- The material does not absorb liquid so it will not get soaked
- No risk of allergies since it is hypoallergenic
- It is a bit on the high side
Right Toppers For People With Allergies
Allergies are usually caused by dust mites. If you have allergies, you should get a topper that will repel these mites along with other allergens. Wool toppers are a natural repellant, they also can keep away bedbugs. Latex too is a good option to control allergies.
A simple guide to keeping in mind — memory foam and latex are ideal for support and come recommended for people with aches and pains. Wool and feathers are comfortable and feel luxurious, they are also good for dealing with different weather conditions so whether it is hot or cold, they will feel mild. If you are on a budget, cotton and other synthetic fabrics are pocket-friendly, although they may not be so durable. If you combine this information with the tips on what to consider when buying a topper, it should be a lot easier to find something you will be happy with.
Just because you want to be comfortable, does not mean you should not also be free from dirt, dust, mites, and anything that may cause allergy. That is the idea behind hypoallergenic mattress toppers. They provide you with comfort while ensuring that the mattress is clean and will not cause you any sickness.
Recommended Best Mattress Toppers For People With Allergies
Zen Bamboo Ultra Soft Rayon Derived From Bamboo Mattress Topper
This mattress topper is filled with hypoallergenic material and covered in similar bamboo-derived rayon material. This material is also able to effect cooling as you sleep. The filling is well stitched inside the cover so that it does not gather into a heap as you sleep or move around.
When it comes to comfort, it is almost like lying on a cloud. The down alternative is so soft while the bamboo-derived cover feels like silk. It also controls the heat so that you can easily drift off into slumber with no worries.
Dust mite, dead skin and anything that may cause allergic reactions will have no place on this topper. And when it comes to caring, you can toss this into a machine and have it clean and fresh with no stress.
This topper will last long and will survive years of vigorous machine wash.
- It is made from bamboo which is naturally hypoallergenic
- Instead of feathers, an alternative down stuffing was used which is still as soft but not irritating
- the stuffing does not gather into a heap which makes for a comfortable sleeper
- Easy to care for since it can be machine washed
- It is cool even on hot nights
- Some people wish it was thicker
How To Maintain A Mattress Topper?
Good maintenance and care for your topper are important to ensure that it will last longer and is in a condition you would find acceptable. For instance, it will not smell like fermented orange juice and coffee. Some materials require more attention than others so as you make a choice, this is information that could determine what you choose, for example, memory foam may require more care than latex toppers.
Care For Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Rotate: Memory foam can develop a permanent body impression on the surface, some people may think of this as the sweet spot on the topper, but it is shortening the life of the topper. Rotating it every 2 to 3 months will give time for the side you have been sleeping on for long to regain its shape.
Spot Clean: To get rid of dirt and possible stains, dampen a cloth and wipe the surface of the topper. For areas that have developed spots, make circular cleaning motions until the spot is gone. If it is a tougher stain, you can add dish soap to the cleaning cloth. Let it air dry after that.
Protector Pad: If you eat frequently on your bed or like to enjoy a cup of cocoa as you read a book, there is always the risk of spills. You can protect your mattress topper with a protector pad which will prevent the spillage from sinking deep. You can wash the cover as regularly as it may be required.
Air It: Put the topper out to get some air and sunlight from time to time. Beddings can develop a stuffy odor or they can take on your smell. Airing the topper will keep it fresh, it also can prevent the growth of mold. You could also use a fan to blow it if you cannot hang it out.
Fire Safety: Most toppers are inflammable, it is good sense to keep away any fire from it. Romantic candlelit conversations could easily turn into fire emergencies if burning candles are placed on the bed or in a position where they could fall onto the bed and ignite a bigger fire.
Other safety precautions include not placing the topper in the washing machine even if it is thin enough to fit. Also, do not use bleach on a foam topper?
Care For Latex Toppers
Latex toppers are preferred by many because they require minimal attention. They are bacterial resistant, allergen resistant as well as mold resistant. This probably would make you believe you never have to worry about it once you put it on your bed. Well, it is not entirely true; there are some precautions you will need to take.
Air It: It does a world of good to air your latex topper from time to time; it doesn’t only help to keep it fresh. Airing a topper will help it maintain its thickness.
No Sunlight: While it is recommended that you give it air from time to time, you should not expose it to direct sunlight. Sunlight is known to cause latex to disintegrate; a few minutes in direct sunshine are enough to begin the process of disintegration. If you put it outside, have a protective cover over it.
No Heat Near It: If you have a humidifier, do not place it near the bed, this is almost the same as putting it out in the sun. Naturally, candles should also not be placed on the bed and do not use heating blankets.
Do Not Wash: Banish the thought of ever throwing the topper into a washing machine. If you would like to clean it, use a vacuum cleaner and avoid the steam vacuums. Make it a point to change the bed sheets regularly.
Rotate: Just like the foam toppers, rotate the latex ones as well to keep them going longer.
Care For Wool Toppers
Wool is a delicate material, people who choose wool, need to ensure they follow whatever instructions come with it to ensure it lasts as long as it has the potential to.
Keep It Clean: For wool, prevention is better than cure, try to keep dirt away from it. Have it covered all the time as little dirt can get into its hair, this is because wool should never be wet. Wet wool will begin to smell and will lose its luster and fluff.
Air It: Every once in a while, you should put the wool out to get air and get rid of smells that may be trapped in there. It also helps to change the bed sheets once a week. There is no sense in airing the topper and then placing the same dirty sheets over it.
Vacuum: Since you cannot wash it, vacuuming is the next best thing. Use a brush tool that will help to comb through the topper. Sometimes there may be hair trapped in there and the brush tool can pull them out.
Avoid Stains: Try every means possible to keep stains off the topper, do not eat and drink in bed and be careful when using cosmetics like oils that could spill on the bed. If you, however, were not careful enough, use a damp cloth to rub out stains and then air dry the topper.
Care For Egg Crate Mattress Topper
The porous nature of egg crate toppers makes them good at hiding dirt. It is possible for tiny particles to work their way into the crevices and while the surface may look clean, the inside is dirty. That said, this is how to care for it.
Shake Or Vacuum Regularly: Since you may not be able to see the dirt, just have a routine for taking the topper out and shaking the dirt out, alternatively, you can use a vacuum cleaner to pull out the dirt.
Wash It: Egg crate toppers can be washed in the machine but put the setting on gentle cycle. You can also hand wash the topper but do not let it dry in the dryer or under direct sunlight.
Care For Feathers And Down Toppers
Feather toppers are just as delicate as wool, but most of them can be washed with care from time to time, though most of them come with instructions to have them dry cleaned by professionals. To be on the safe side, let the professionals go ahead and do their work.
Fluff: Since they are filled with feathers, the weight of s leaper can displace the feathers and the topper begins to lose shape and fluff. Make sure you routinely fluff the topper to keep it in shape.
Be Careful: Inspect the topper regularly to ensure it does not have any holes which can eventually let out the feathers. As you handle it, ensure you do not make holes on the surface.
Air It: Like all toppers, air is good for these ones as well so give it some air at least once a month.
Common Mistakes To Avoid When Dealing With A Topper
Using The Wrong Vacuum Cleaner
Many people imagine that their multipurpose vacuum cleaner will be sufficient to clean their topper. The truth is most vacuum cleaners are not strong enough to suck out the dirt and organisms that may be hiding in the topper fabric. The best thing to do is to invest in a vacuum that has been designed particularly for fabrics.
Beating The Topper
This is an old cleaning method that some people think is effective to get the dirt out of a topper. Research has shown it is actually ineffective and a danger to you and the topper. For you, it could result in allergic reactions from all the dust and fabric particles flying in the air and for the topper, you would be wearing it out by removing part of the fabric on the top and yet it does not get the dirt out effectively.
It may seem sensible to use a steamer on the topper since it is supposed to kill bacteria and even bedbugs and dust mites. The problem though is that steam can also damage the topper. Material like latex could disintegrate, feathers may lose their loftiness and cotton may retain some of the steam which eventually gives the bacteria breeding ground.
In the end, mattress toppers can quite effectively uplift the comfort aspect of your old or new mattresses. If you have a back or neck ache or not happy with the firmness of your mattress, then a quality topper could make a world of difference (at the fraction of a new mattress’ cost). Always, consider the overall value a topper provides rather than just its price.
With all the information overload about these products online, it is easy to get swayed away, but when you read the reviews carefully and compare the features of various toppers, you can discern what’s best for you. We hope that now you have a bird’s eye view and better knowledge of toppers and the extensive range of options available in the market. The mattress topper could very well be the difference you need for a good night’s sleep.