Sleep is an absolute necessity for our health and well being, yet, research shows many people do not sleep well while many suffer from lack of sleep. A recent research commissioned by Targeted Medical Pharma Inc., a Los Angeles biotech company says 83% of Americans don’t sleep well and this could be due to anxiety, pain or stress.
The 2013 Rx Sleep Survey, which was revealed Monday; June 3rd at the SLEEP 2013 meeting in Baltimore, found women (88%) were more likely than men (78%) to report sleep disorders while high-income adults were more likely to have their sleep interrupted by their children, pets or inability to turn off their thoughts.
Earlier, in 2009, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention revealed some 50 million to 70 million American adults suffer from sleep disorders. The report, published in the October 30 edition of Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, a CDC publication, linked lack of adequate sleep with mental distress, worry, high cholesterol, dejection, obesity, hypertension, diabetes and certain risk behaviors including cigarette smoking, alcohol addiction and physical inactivity.
The report mentioned lifestyle, occupation and specific disorders as the major causes of sleeplessness. In this article, I want to quickly examine ways to get better sleep, according to medical professionals.
How To Get Better Sleep
Doctors Ronald L. Kotler and Charles R. Cantor as well as personal trainer, Maryann Karinch have co-authored a book in which they provide helpful advice on getting a good night’s sleep.
In the book titled 365 Ways to Get a Good Night’s Sleep, the authors advised that you avoid sleeping with your pets as they could disrupt your sleep. According to them, “not only can dogs and cats make space and attention demands that disrupt sleep, but they also leave behind hair and dander that cause respiratory problems related to allergies and asthma.”
They further advised that you:
- Have a strategy for dealing with worries before they dominate your thoughts.
- Invest in a decent mattress.
- Eat a light snack before bed.
- Don’t look at the clock if you wake up in the night.
On its’ part, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advised you do the following to get better and quality sleep.
- Go to bed at about the same time (consistently).
- Steer clear of exciting activities two hours before turning in.
- Avoid caffeine, nicotine and alcohol in the evening.
- Sleep in a dark, quiet and well-ventilated room.
- Avoid going to bed famished.
- In addition, sleep medications can be useful.
Dr. A. K. Sethi lends his voice on how to sleep well in a book titled How to Have Sound Sleep: The Natural Way. He advises you keep your bedroom basic and avoid electronic gadgets like Television, Music System or Computer in the bedroom “because the electromagnetic radiations can adversely affect the mind of individuals in the bedroom and affect sleep patterns.”
He further mentioned the bed as the most important object that determines sleep quality. Mattresses, according to him, “should be firm” while pillows should be avoided as “they tend to bend the neck forward causing abnormal curvature of cervical spine.”
Other tips Dr. Sethi gave include the following:
- Bed sheets and blankets should be soft, comfortable to use and clean.
- Drink a cup of hot milk before turning in as milk contains a sleep-inducing substance Tryptophan, which is very useful for getting quality sleep.
- Listen to light music; it is beneficial to getting a good night’s rest.
Benefits Of Quality Sleep
- Gives tense muscles and nerves rest.
- Assists in the repair of damaged cells and tissues which occur due to various illnesses.
- Helps in boosting the immune system which is responsible for our quick recovery and the prevention of illnesses.
- Keeps the mind, body and soul in one piece.
- Prolongs the lifespan of individuals.
- Re-invigorates the body to face the challenges of a new day.
Your Turn To Decide
Now that you know how to sleep well despite the challenges of life and living, I would advise that you go out there and apply these tips. Getting a good night’s rest is essential to your social, mental and physical well-being, so, don’t joke with it. Do everything possible to get rid of sleeplessness.
One of the things you can do is to sleep on a good mattress. You can buy a new mattress from a physical store or an online store. Buying online enables you to read the reviews of other consumers. You can start by reading our best mattress reviews; hopefully, they would help you make a quality buying decision.
‘If you liked this post, say thanks by sharing it:’